Zac Perry has resigned his state legislative seat representing House District 3 (Columbia Falls, North Fork, and the Canyon area). Montana state law and Democratic Party state rules provide a means to assure his district continues to be represented to the end of his term. We have identified the following process, working backwards from the date HD 3 will again have a representative, serving through the end of December 2020.
- September 5 - The date the Flathead County Democratic Central Committee (FCDCC) was officially notified of Zac Perry’s resignation, which began the 45-day period for the FDCC to locate and vote on candidates.
- September 18 - FCDCC sent out a press release to local papers.
- September 20 - FCDCC press release soliciting interested persons was published in the Daily Interlake. Link to release.
- October 1 - DEADLINE FOR INTERESTED PERSONS TO CONTACT FCDCC TO DECLARE CANDIDACY IN WRITING (email to email@example.com). No person contacting us after midnight on October 1 will be included in this process.
- October 2 - FCDCC will send questionnaires and rules to the declared candidates along with a list of the voters, should they wish to campaign among them.
- October 8 - Deadline for declared candidates to return questionnaires. Candidates returning questionnaires after the deadline will not be considered. Accepted up until midnight.
- October 9 - FCDCC will provide the voters with questionnaires filled out by the declared candidates.
- October 15 - The regular monthly meeting of the FCDCC. All the candidates must be present to be considered. There will be time for each candidate to give a short speech and answer questions, after which the voters—precinct leaders and officers—will vote.
- October 21 - The deadline for the FCDCC to submit these candidates to the Commissioners.
- November 5 - The deadline for Flathead County Commissioners to choose a replacement from the three candidates that the FCDCC will submit to them.